Thursday 18 December 2008

Festive Frivolities



Christmas is approaching (who knew?) and with that, it seems appropriate to put some festive music up. While there has traditionally been Twelve Days of Christmas, now there are Twelve Tunes of Christmas.

I love Christmas - and I love Christmas music. My tastes tend to fall distinctly into two categories: alternative Christmas cuts, of the ilk of my usual music tastes, but with a holiday flavour, and traditional, well-loved Christmas classics that I grew up with and continue to love. Therefore I intend to post two tracks a day up til Christmas: one alternative, and one traditional.


Today's alternative track: Sufjan Stevens, Put the Lights on the Tree
I don't know of a better Holiday album than Sufjan Stevens' 5 EP Collection, Songs for the Christmas. In parts childishly excited, in others quietly tender, in still others full of joy, it makes Christmas better by just existing. Put the Lights on the Tree is maybe the best track - 1min 48s of sheer excitement and joy.

Today's traditional track: Dean Martin, Let it Snow!
An absolute classic, recycled and reused every Christmas, yet somehow it seems to avoid cliche. Let it Snow! is snuggly and exciting and it just ain't Christmas without it.

1 comment:

nowlies said...

OMG this is the best idea ever and I'm totally gonna listen to all of them...it's hard to find good new Christmas songs, so I'm stoked!!