Tuesday 9 December 2008

2008 - what a blast.

So a little sooner than expected, here is my top 20 of everything musicky for 2008, including albums, singles, EPs, and videos, because really, it's all one and the same thing isn't it?

Let's not be fussy about dates now - some of these may have first surfaced light last year, but I won't tell if you don't...

Enjoy, debate, complain. It's up to you.

1. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (Skinny Love)



Heart breaking, spell-binding, achingly beautiful, this album is sure to top many lists this year, and it tops mine. The star of the album is undoubtedly Skinny Love, but to focus on that one track is to lose sight of the album as a whole. How cohesive it is, and how well the tracks all fit together was, for me, the album's main strength.
2. Marlena ShawCalifornia Soul (Diplo Remix)
This track definitely had special resonance for me - I was at Berkeley for a year abroad until June this year, and picked up this track just as I was leaving - but I don't think you have to have been in California in order to appreciate this chilled out, blissful Summer song.
3. Florence & the MachineKiss with a Fist /Hospital Beds
I couldn’t decide between the A and the B side of this single, so I thought I’d include both. Kiss with a Fist is something of a jaunty little track, with a slightly worrying attitude towards domestic violence, but I feel it doesn’t convey the sheer power of Florence’s voice in the way that Hospital Beds does. This eerie cover of the Cold War Kids’ track is sure to divide people, but, in my opinion, it’s stunning.
4. Vampire WeekendVampire Weekend (M79)
Perhaps a little obvious as an album of the year? True, but, frankly, it’s a great listen. Yes, it combines African rhythms with an East Coast/Ivy League aesthetic in a way that might sound pretentious (I know that last sentence definitely did), and if you already feel that way, it’s unlikely that the baroque stylings of the sample track, M79 will change your mind. However, for me, the reason why this album made the list is that it’s just so damn enjoyable, plain and simple.
5. MGMTTime to Pretend
Apparently the Brooklyn boys of MGMT wrote this as a joke while at college – little did they know it would become an anthem for wannabe rockstars everywhere. Both disconcerting and inspiring, Time to Pretend was my ringtone for a good two months. No higher praise than that.
6. Kings of Leon Sex On Fire
You may have heard of this one. Kings of Leon have had a pretty impressive, and I have to say, a pretty surprising year, especially here in the UK. I don’t know of anyone who predicted the success of their fourth album, Only By The Night, but it certainly seems a long time ago that a hairy family band from the Bible Belt burst onto the scene with Molly’s Chambers. Sex On Fire has been inescapable this year, a little to the point of frustration, but for about two weeks in the Summer, it was heaven.
7. JusticeDVNO (video)
Justice, or Just-eece as the Francophiles among us like to say, are the Daft Punk of our era. DVNO, supposedly named in reference to a cheesy French club in Paris, is perhaps not the catchiest or the most epic cut from the album, but it is definitely one of the best to dance to. The video, directed by So Me, who also did Kanye’s Good Life video, and the awesome vid for Justice vs. Simian, Never Be Alone, is about the coolest thing to emanate from youtube.



8. Friendly Fires - Paris
Cowbell-tastic! Technically from last year, but recently re-released so it sneaks in. I almost put the video up... I almost put the album in... the Aeroplanes remix is also pretty good... but frankly I think this song is good enough to stand alone (even though the lyrics to the chorus remind me of Take That).
9. Ra Ra Riot - Oh, La
I don’t know much about Ra Ra Riot. I do know that I really like this song. I first heard it on the radio about 6 weeks ago on the night of the US Election. Something about the lyric ‘Some days our future/it seems to hang on so tight’ seemed particularly prescient that night, and the song has stayed with me ever since. I’m definitely going to investigate Ra Ra Riot once I have convinced myself that the rest of their material can match up to this song.
10. Black Kids I’m Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You (Twelves Remix)
So I guess technically this song is from last year. I’m trying to get away with putting it in under the auspices that the Twelves remix is from this year – at least that’s when I heard it certainly. The remix takes what was a pretty awesome song to begin with, totally flips it out and creates this ultimate party tune. The ‘Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance!’ refrain hits you, and you just can’t not. For interesting remixes/covers of this song, I would definitely recommend the Kate Nash version – but that definitely is from last year.
11. Mystery Jets (feat. Laura Marling) – Young Love (video)
Two words: utterly charming. This video and that song are perfect for each other.



12. TV On The RadioDear Science, ( Golden Age)
Their best album yet: clever, soulful, moving and danceable. The kind of music that Bowie wishes he was making now.
13. The BPA - Toe Jam (video)
How is this song not more known/appreciated? It’s got the legends that are Norman Cook, David Byrne and Dizzee Rascal making it, and it’s got one of the funniest, smartest videos of the year. Criminal.



14. Madonna (feat. Justin Timberlake) – 4 Minutes
"Oh, so it's not all indie”, I hear you say. While Madonna does sound like a backing singer on her own song, when it’s this good I’m sure she’s not complaining.
15. Juno – OST (Kimya Dawson - So Nice So Smart)
Some absolute classics in here, but surprisingly for a soundtrack, barely a dud. What’s more, it works well as an album as well as working for the film (which is excellent by the way).
16. Leona Lewis Bleeding Love [youtube]
Ah, the spirit of Mariah Carey is reborn. Yes, it’s cheesy, but there’s something poignantly triumphant about the X-Factor winner’s song. Who’da thunk it?
17. The Hold SteadyStay Positive (Magazines)
I still can’t decide if the whole album deserves to be in here – it’s a little samey to me. Having said that, I have a feeling that in five years it’ll be hailed a classic, and I’ll be doing the hailing.
18. Passion PitSleepyhead
One of the freshest sounds I have heard in a while. If the original is a bit perky, try the Landau’s Wake Up Mix – the best morning after song.
19. Pharrell, Santogold and Julian CasablancasMy Drive Thru (video)
OK, so it was written for a Converse advert. The talent on this is diverse to say the least, and while it may not have reached its full potential, it’s still fun, and the video is just too cool for school.



20. Sam SparroBlack & Gold
Spawning a million themed parties, Mr Sparro’s synth-bathed tune is an infectious delight. The best song George Michael never made.


That's all for now folks.

No comments: