Tuesday 2 March 2010

I've seen stranger things



Local Natives continue to prove their star pedigree with this fabulous video done by La Blogotheque. I've loved their album Gorilla Manor pretty much ever since it came out - it's full of well-crafted, melodic songs with beautiful harmonies and interesting percussion. This video seems to demonstrate that its not just studio trickery that creates those harmonies either - they're bang in tune for the whole thing. Furthermore, it seems to create this perfect idea of them as some kind of wandering band of minstrels (an idea that their song Camera Talk also backs up). Beautifully shot, it even manages to make the toilets of some skanky bar look artistic. When I wrote about Local Natives before, I was chatting about I think they have a very slick production, that they're very clued up in the best way to market themselves. I think the video definitely confirms that (as a lot of the La Blogotheque ones do) but that it also makes me feel that these guys have the talent to back it up, and that they really deserve success (perhaps demonstrating just how effective their marketing is? Haha, whatever, I don't care!). After seeing Vampire Weekend at Brixton Academy do a disappointing show a couple of weeks ago, it seems a shame if Local Natives, who are possibly more talented than VW, don't make it at least as big as them.

No comments: