Thursday 8 July 2010

Oh those Summer Nights...


Here in London we have been blessed with a rather unusual summer - in that it's been hot, sunny and actually like a proper Summer. It's a bit of a given that certain songs sound better in the sun, but for me, hot sticky Summer nights also can add something special to songs. That late night, not a breath of air closeness that happens in the Summer requires a special kind of music - intense yet mellow, personal and heartfelt, it's music that is about desire and want that is not always entirely fulfilled. Here are a few of my choices.

Gayngs - Faded High [download left hand side of screen]
Bon Iver's Justin Vernon goes soulful R&B - who knew? 'I want your body on me...' definitely the hottest late night track around right now.

Candie Payne - I Wish I Could Have Loved You More
This Liverpudlian singer captures a real 60s Dusty Springfield-esque vibe on this song. After touring with Mark Ronson she's somewhat vanished from view - a shame as the sparse, echoing feeling to this one really captures that late night feeling of panic and guilt.

Bat For Lashes - What's A Girl To Do?
Natasha Khan combines a 'Be My Baby' style beat with creepy piano and almost whispered lyrics to create a truly eerie late night paean to desperation. Helped of course by a weird as video featuring BMXing bears.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
- Hey Joe
Stone cold classic.

Death Cab For Cutie
- 405 (Acoustic)
A bit more upbeat than some of the other tracks here, this ticks the wistful box instead.

Fink - This Is the Thing
Probably best known for being featured in a Mastercard advert a few years back, this is classic late night anxiety: 'And the things that keep us apart keep me alive/and the things that keep me alive keep me alone'

Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice
Bluesy Rolling Stones should ONLY be played on hot summer's nights...

Warpaint - Billie Holiday
Hailing from Los Angeles, I would imagine the ladies of Warpaint have experienced plenty of hot sticky nights - perhaps that's why their music is so perfect for night time. Billie Holliday is a cross between a spelling bee and My Guy - but somehow its dreamy, Cat Power-esque vocals make it work.

Sorry it's been so long. I'll try to post a bit more regularly!

No comments: