Saturday 7 March 2009

Fly-er than the rest of 'em...


I'm not sure that it's really come across on here how partial I am to good hip hop. Being the white middle-class home counties girl that I am, it's hard for me to get into hip hop lyrics without the slightest bit of irony... however one rapper that I can wholeheartedly endorse is Wale - that is Wah-LAY. He's been floating around for a while, popping up in little cameos... for instance, check out the Amy Winehouse video for Valerie - the guy rapping at the beginning? That's Wale. And in Daniel Merriweather's current single, Change - the guy doing the rap break? Wale. He's also done some pretty awesome reworking/remixing/been mashed up with some indie/electro dance anthems, from Justice's D.A.N.C.E., Justice vs. Simian, We are your Friends, and Danger's 11h30, all of which are really rather banging.

His 100 Miles and Running (U.K. / U.S.) mixtape, was released last year, if not earlier than that (my memory/internet search skills have failed me), but the track that I really thought was going to explode was Nike Boots.





Wale "Nike Boots" video (Directed by Chris Robinson) from Elitaste on Vimeo.

It would appear that this is still the single he is pushing... it's got a pretty awesome beat to it, is definitely catchy, but I just can't help but feel that in order to take it to the next level and really capitalise upon his success, he needs to do more.

It appears that a collaboration with currently-shit-hot KiD CuDi is on the cards for Wale - perhaps that will bring it for him? Here's hoping.

No comments: